Mean, standard deviation, and 5-number summary
- November 8, 2021
- Posted by: JuliusAdmin
- Category: Get Answer to Question
Respond to the following in a minimum of 175 words:
The most frequently used measures of central tendency for quantitative data are the mean and the median. The following table shows civil service examination scores from 24 applicants to law enforcement jobs:
83 74 85 79
82 67 78 70
18 93 64 27
93 98 82 78
68 82 83 99
96 62 93 58
Using Excel, find the mean, standard deviation, and 5-number summary of this sample.
- Construct and paste a box plot depicting the 5-number summary.
- Does the dataset have outliers? If so, which one(s)?
- Would you prefer to use the mean or the median as this dataset’s measure of central tendency? Why?
Due Day 7
Reply to at least 2 of your classmates or your faculty member and/or address the following subjects:
- Why are graphs and visuals important in data reports?
- What can we learn from a scatter plot? What does the scatter plot not tell us?
- Explain what an outlier is. When is an outlier important to our results? When is it not important?
- How do you determine the appropriate visual for the data you are attempting to present?
Be constructive and professional.