Upholding PHI During Difficult Situations
- November 8, 2021
- Posted by: JuliusAdmin
- Category: Get Answer to Question
Your best friend tells you that they have started to date a wonderful person. When introduced, you immediately recognize that they are a patient in the medical practice that you currently work at. This person has a long history of drug and alcohol abuse and is currently receiving treatment by one of your physicians’. The patient has also been previously arrested for driving under the influence.
Demonstrate how you would handle the above patient PHI situation with your best friend.
Include the following aspects in the discussion:
- Outline what information (if any) you can disclose to your best friend?
- Would it be appropriate for you to speak to the patient directly about their medical history since they are seeing your best friend?
- Discuss if there is anything that you may be able to say to your best friend without acknowledging that they are a patient.
- Discuss if you feel this would be a challenging situation to be in and if you feel HIPAA Is too strict?